Sunday, December 21, 2008

Believe

I'm feeling particularly dull this holiday season.  I've gone through all the motions, but I can't quite get in touch with the joy.  I think this is fairly common, especially among over-achieving moms of young children who literally spend every spare moment from Thanksgiving to Dec 24th making lists, baking, shopping, decorating, hiding, wrapping, menu planning, shopping for things we forget, making new lists, wrapping some more, and constantly anxious that we've forgotten that one critical piece and that our oversight will ultimately send the entire house of holiday cards crashing down.

I sat through Sofia's adorable preschool holiday play totally dry-eyed.  Typically I am a weepy mess.  Ditto for flying santa, for the 12 days of christmas sing-a-long at the neighborhood holiday party.  Usually I am a sentimental wreck, but this year I feel like I'm in a bubble, watching the whole thing unfold through a dirty window.  

I'm not typically one to succumb to the holiday blues, but this year they've gripped me.  So, if you happen to run into Clarence the Angel or Buddy the Elf, or even Bad Santa...could you send them my way?  

2 comments:

sorcamc said...

If you were at my house last night when I busted out the Karaoke machine, you would have had tears in your eyes for sure. You'll get there...the spirit is coming. Love u!

Linda said...

Do you know that I finally got it today.I was instant messaging my friend at work about it and couldn't believe that I wasn't into it this year. I'm always into it. But tonight, I feel like I'm finally there. Of course it was something traumatic happening to someone else that made me realize how lucky I am. I hope you get there. Otherwise it feels like you are on the outside looking in...xoxo